Eine Geschichte von Frances Alexander, Januar 1941:

A Memorial to Milliken´s Bend


Auszug:

.................................... The only ones left in 1910 were the Joseph Witherow family and the J.N. Schregelman family. Mr. Witherow was keeping a grocery store and Mr. Schregelman was the landing keeper, each still doing the same thing he had done at the "Old Bend" thirty years earlier. Even that little trade was dwindling, customers at the store were few, and not many plantations received freight at the landing. In 1915 Mr. Witherow moved to Tallulah. Then, in 1916, Mr. Schregelman, born and reared at "The Bend", was the last to abondon this citadel of commerce. With his departure, Milliken´s Bend ceased to exist. ...................................

Übersetzung:

.................................... Die einzigen, die 1910 zurückblieben, waren die Familie Joseph Witherow und die Familie J.N. Schregelman. Herr Witherow betrieb einen Lebensmittelladen und Herr Schregelman war der Hafenmeister. Jeder tat das, was er schon 30 Jahre vorher im "Old Bend" getan hatte. Die Geschäftstätigkeit nahm ab, es gab nur wenige Kunden im Laden und nicht viele Plantagen erhielten Fracht im Hafen. 1915 zog die Familie Witherow nach Tallulah um. Herr Schregelman, der in "The Bend" geboren und aufgewachsen war, war der letzte der 1916 den Betrieb in dieser Zitadelle des Handels einstellte. Mit seinem Abgang hörte Milliken´s Bend auf zu existieren .............................................